Robotics Combat Event
CANCELLED: Rocket Republic Taproom Tap Out #7 10.23.21
Join Us In October And Bring Your Bot!
Maybe you’ve seen BattleBots on TV where 250 pound radio controlled robots fighting each other with a variety of weapons including drum spinners, horizontal and vertical bar spinners, flippers and hammers. Or you’ve seen the British version Robot Wars. Recently, other series have been popping up in China like Clashbots and King of Bots.
These are on the larger end of the robot combat spectrum, and while fun to watch the number of competitions is limited and the cost of entry is high. However, there are lighter-weight classes that make combat robotics accessible to most. The most popular lightweight classes are antweight (1lb), beetleweight (3lb), and hobbyweight (12lb) and feature competitions across the United States all year long. There is also a special plastic antweight (1lb) class that is accessible to anyone with a 3D printer or basic hand tools.
Due to low registration I’m welcoming folks to add a third or fourth bot if they like! Usually, we cap entries per person to two bots, so this is a great opportunity for those of you with a family of bots!
Outside food is welcome and Rocket Republic will have their kitchen open!
Rocket Republic Taproom Tap Out Registration:
July 19, 2021 – October 16, 2021
Masks are not required.
|Robot Class||Entry Fee||Slots|
|Plastic Antweight 1lb||$0.00||16|
- 2:00pm – Check in begins.
- 2:45pm – Safety Meeting.
- 3pm – Fights commence.
- 8pm- End of Event
One thing to keep in mind is the rules are very safety-centric. Most rules are to ensure the safety of the participants and spectators. Unlike Formula racing there are no rules on power limits, or motor/controller constraints (except in certain cases like pneumatics operating pressure, and there again it is driven by safety concerns, not establishing a level playing field). The sky is the limit on creativity and design.
- We will have the arena available no later than 2PM for you to ensure your bot is ready for combat.
- When you check in your bot, we will assume your bot is fully functional and ready to fight.
- We will publish the fight order ten minutes prior to the event.
- When the event commences we are assuming all bots are ready to fight per the published fight order.
- If we call for your bot and you are unable to produce your bot, you will forfeit the first fight.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made for an individual who has back-to-back fights, but it is expected each bot has a fresh battery and paired transmitter.
- This will only be enforced during the first round to ensure the first round goes smoothly to buy time for later rounds. Subsequent rounds will have more slack as bots are damaged and require repair.
Rocket Republic Taproom Tap Out is a recurring event. Watch for it!
All bots will be required to pass a safety check. Safety officers will be roaming the pits.
Arena and Hazards:
Ants and Beetles: 6′ x 6′ arena with a low wall (1″ high) in one corner. Getting trapped behind or on the wall (10 second countdown) results in loss of battle. Floor is steel and magnets are allowed for ants and beetles (not plastic ants). Fairies: 32″x32″ arena insert with 2″ high walls.
Participants are welcome and expected to bring their own tools and spare parts to fix bots between fights in the pits. Safety in the pits will be rigorously enforced by a designated safety officer.
- Matches are 3 minutes in duration
- If we have less than 5 bots in a weight class we will do a round-robin tournament
- If we have more than 5 bots in a weight class we will do double-elimination tournament
- 20 minutes between repeat fights for any given bot (note: bot, not competitor)
- Judging is performed by 3 judges who will be announced in advance and are not competing. They will consider with equal weight aggression, control and damage.
- Each judge gets one vote and majority rules.
Interested in combat robotics? Want to compete? Not sure how to get started? Try an Antweight kit!
Return to ItGresa Robotics Store: