Robotics Combat Event
Rocket Republic Taproom Tap Out
Maybe you’ve seen BattleBots on TV where 250 pound radio controlled robots fighting each other with a variety of weapons including drum spinners, horizontal and vertical bar spinners, flippers and hammers. Or you’ve seen the British version Robot Wars. Recently, other series have been popping up in China like Clashbots and King of Bots.
These are on the larger end of the robot combat spectrum, and while fun to watch the number of competitions are limited and the cost of entry is high. However, there are lighter-weight classes that make combat robotics accessible. The most popular lightweight classes are antweight (1lb), beetleweight (3lb), and hobbyweight (12lb) and feature competitions across the United States all year long. There is also a special plastic antweight (1lb) class that is accessible to anyone with a 3D printer or basic hand tools.
In order to accommodate more participants, I am requesting no more than 2 bots per adult/solo teen participant and 1 bot per child participant. The participant is the person who is using the transmitter during combat. (If the brackets do not fill up, this rule will be relaxed in advance of the event to give people the ability to register more bots – but we have been experiencing more “new” drivers and we want to be able to accommodate as many participants as possible).
Outside food is welcome and Rocket Republic will have their kitchen open!
Rocket Republic Taproom Tap Out Registration:
May 02, 2021 – July 03, 2021
Masks are not required.
- Fairy (150 gram)
- Ant (1 pound)
- Plastic Ant (1 pound)
- Beetle (3 pound)
- 2:00pm – Check in begins.
- 2:45pm – Safety Meeting.
- 3pm – Fights commence.
- 7pm- End of Event
One thing to keep in mind is the rules are very safety-centric. Most rules are to ensure the safety of the participants and spectators. Unlike Formula racing there are no rules on power limits, or motor/controller constraints (except in certain cases like pneumatics operating pressure, and there again it is driven by safety concerns, not establishing a level playing field). The sky is the limit on creativity and design.
- We will have the arena available no later than 2PM for you to ensure your bot is ready for combat.
- When you check in your bot, we will assume your bot is fully functional and ready to fight.
- We will publish the fight order ten minutes prior to the event.
- When the event commences we are assuming all bots are ready to fight per the published fight order.
- If we call for your bot and you are unable to produce your bot, you will forfeit the first fight.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made for an individual who has back-to-back fights, but it is expected each bot has a fresh battery and paired transmitter.
- This will only be enforced during the first round to ensure the first round goes smoothly to buy time for later rounds. Subsequent rounds will have more slack as bots are damaged and require repair.
Rocket Republic Taproom Tap Out is a recurring event. Watch for it!
All bots will be required to pass a safety check. Safety officers will be roaming the pits.
Arena and Hazards:
Ants and Beetles: 6′ x 6′ arena with a low wall (1″ high) in one corner. Getting trapped behind or on the wall (10 second countdown) results in loss of battle. Floor is steel and magnets are allowed.
Fairies: 32″x32″ arena insert with 2″ high walls.
Participants are welcome and expected to bring their own tools and spare parts to fix bots between fights in the pits. Safety in the pits will be rigorously enforced by a designated safety officer.
- Matches are 3 minutes in duration
- If we have less than 5 bots in a weight class we will do a round-robin tournament
- If we have more than 5 bots in a weight class we will do double-elimination tournament
- 20 minutes between repeat fights for any given bot (note: bot, not competitor)
- Judging is performed by 3 judges who will be announced in advance and are not competing. They will consider with equal weight aggression, control and damage.
- Each judge gets one vote and majority rules.
Return to ItGresa Robotics Store: